Angela Evelyn Bassett, born on August 16, 1958 is an American actress and activist who is known for her biographical film roles. She is mostly known for her performance in the biopic What’s Love Got to Do with It (1993) as Tina Turner, for which she won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress and got nominated for the Academy Award. She has also appeared in both Malcolm X (1992) and ther (1995) as Betty Shabazz, in The Jacksons: An American Dream (1992) as Katherine Jackson, in Notorious (2009) as Voletta Wallace, in Betty & Coretta (2013) as Coretta Scott King, in Green Lantern (2011) as Amanda Waller, in Olympus Has Fallen (2013) as Lynne Jacobs, London Has Fallen (2016), and in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Black Panther (2018) as Ramonda.
Angela Bassett Parents/ Family
Born on New York City, New York, United States, her father’s name is Daniel Benjamin Bassett and mother’s name is Betty Jane (née Gilbert). Her mother has passed away in 2014. She has a younger sister named D’nette Bassett.
Angela Bassett Affairs/ Boyfriend/ Spouse/ Husband
She has dated:
Her husband name is Courtney B. Vance. They have a son named Slater Josiah Vance and a daughter named Bronwyn Golden Vance.
Hey Everybody, you good? So excited about my cover story for NET-A-PORTER! Many thanks @paolakudacko, @sarafrancia, @theannabelbrog, @gemmastark, @jennifer_dickinson and especially my publicist extraordinaire @gnsquire ! https://www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/porter/article-716db44b5ed6df69/cover-stories/cover-stories/angela-bassett
Profile / Wiki / Information
- Name: Angela Evelyn Bassett
- Nickname: Angela
- Birthday: August 16, 1958
- Age: 61 years old
- Gender: Female
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States
- Current Residence: Los Angeles, California, United States
- Education: Azalea Middle School
- Profession: Actress, Social Activist
- Nationality: American
- Ethnicity/Race: Black (African-American descent)
- Religion: Christianity
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Dark Brown
- Zodiac: Cancer
- Spouse/Husband: Courtney B. Vance
- Net Worth: 20 Million USD
- Height: 5 feet 3.5 inch (161.5 cm)
- Weight: 61 kg (134.5 lbs.)
Trivia and facts you may not know about Angela Bassett
- She used to work as a photo researcher at U.S. News & World Report magazine and has also worked as a receptionist at a beauty salon for short period of time.
- Angela got attracted to acting at the age of 16 when her grade 11 class trip visited Washington D.C where she watched actor James Earl Jones perform in a Kennedy Center production of the play called Of Mice and Men and got so impressed that she decided to make acting her career of choice.
- While studying at Boca Ciega High School, Angela achieved the titled of being the first African American student from school to participate in the Upward Bound which is an academic and cultural enrichment program for underprivileged kids at the (NHS) National Honor Society.
- On July 13 2013, Angela was mentioned as an honorary member of the college-educated women’s sorority group called Delta Sigma Theta.
- On March 20, 2008, Angela got her own star at Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- She is one of the ten African-American actresses to be nominated for an Oscar in the Best Actress category since 1929. Angela was nominated for her role in What’s Love Got to Do with it.
- Her performance in the 1993 biopic What’s Love Got to Do with it as Tina Turner made into the list of Premiere Magazine’s List of 100 Greatest Film Performancesof all time at the 95th spot.
- As of July 2018, Angela is the only African-American recipient of the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for her role in What’s Love Got to Do with it as Tina Turner (1993).
- In 2018, she received an honorary doctoral degree in fine arts from her alma-mater Yale University.
- In 2015, Angela voiced the first ever female role of “Agent Six” for the video game called Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege.
- For more information about Angela, contact her on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.