Aretha Franklin was born on March 25, 1942 in Memphis, Tennessee, and died on August 16, 2018 at the age of 76 in Detroit, Michigan in the United States. Aretha was an amazing singer, songwriter, pianist and civil rights activist from the United States of America. She was able to obtain a lot of success in her musical career with songs like “Respect”, “Think”, “I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)”, etc. Due to her work and activities, she was given the title of “The Queen of Soul”.
Aretha Franklin Family/Parents
Full named as Aretha Louise Franklin, she was born at her family’s home in Memphis, Tennessee at 406 Lucy Avenue as a daughter to Barbara (née Siggers) and Clarence LaVaughn “C. L.” Franklin. Her father was from Shelby, Mississippi and used to be a Baptist minister and circuit preacher. On the other hand, Aretha’s mother was a vocalist and popular piano player. Aretha has other 3 siblings from her parents together, however her parents had children through their previous relationships with other people.
Aretha Franklin Affairs/Boyfriend/Spouse/Husband
Aretha gave birth to her first child at the age of 12, who she named Clarence, the same name as her father’s, on January 28, 1955. It was found out that she was impregnated by her schoolmate, Donald Burk. Later, she gave birth to her second child, Edward two years after giving birth to her first child. This time, the father of the child was Edward Jordan.
She later married Theodore White in 1961 and had a son, Ted White Jr. in February of 1964. Ted White Jr. was later renowned as Teddy Richards when he started giving guitar backing to Aretha’s concerts. Aretha’s fourth child was born in 1970 and the father of the child was Ken Cunningham. The child was named as Kecalf Cunningham. Before giving birth to Kecalf, she had divorced with Theodore White in 1969. In 1978, Aretha married Glynn Turman and had no children until they divorced in 1984.
Profile / Wiki / Information
- Name: Aretha Franklin
- Full Name: Aretha Louise Franklin
- Nickname: The Queen of Soul, Ree
- Birthday: March 25, 1942
- Death: August 16, 2018
- Age during Death: 76 years old
- Gender: Female
- Birthplace: Memphis, Tennessee
- Death Location: Woodlawn Cemetery, Detroit, Michigan
- High School: Northern High School, Detroit, Michigan
- Education: Dropped out of High School
- Profession: Singer, Songwriter, Pianist, Civil Rights Activist
- Nationality: American
- Ethnicity/Race: African-American
- Religion: Christian
- Zodiac: Aries
- Husband: Theodere White (married in 1961 and divorced in 1969) and Glynn Turman (married in 1978 and divorced in 1984)
- Children: Clarence Franklin, Edward Jordan, Ted White Jr. (Teddy Richards) and Kecalf Cunningham
- Net Worth: $80 million
- Height: 5 ft. 5 in. (1.65 meters)
- Weight: 285 lb (129.274 kilograms)
Trivia and Facts, you may not know about Aretha Franklin
- Aretha moved to Buffalo, New York with her family at the age of 2.
- When she was 5, her family moved to Detroit, Michigan and his father took over the pastorship of the New Bethel Baptist Church.
- Aretha’s parents separated in 1948 due to her father’s infidelities.
- Her father later became a millionaire and earned a lot of money for sermons in several churches in the United States.
- Aretha made her solo debut with the hymn “Jesus, Be a Fence Around Me” after her mother’s death.
- Her father helped her sign her first recording deal with J.V.B. Records.
- Her first single was released in 1956, named as “Never Grow Old”.
- Aretha became a mother at the age of 12.
- She was a registered Democrat.
- Aretha once lost over 85 pounds, but later grew up to 285 pounds in 2016.
- She died of pancreatic cancer in 2018.
- To know more about Aretha Franklin, you can find her on Wikipedia.